My sisters couldn't stop repeating that line during my birthday weekend. Hitting thirty has been more anti-climactic than I expected, in practice if not in preparation. Wow, I'm really emotional today, not quire sure how this one is going to go so I'll apologize in advance. I never expected to be thirty & not be a mother yet. I really never expected to be thirty and not even be married, engaged, or really have any serious prospects. For a very long time I was convinced it had to be happen by now but obviously, it hasn't. I'm pretty sure there are a whole lot of people, whether specific to me or themselves, who think that this is pretty much the end of the world.
Here is my answer: it isn't. I want a husband. I want children, so much that when I had the opportunity to be a mother I almost gave up on everything else I ever wanted for my life. I have never once regretted the decision I made to follow my Heavenly Father's plan for me, rather than my own. I'm mildly overwhelmed by the epic load which I have taken on with this master's degree, partially cutting out a semester from the prescribed program length, but more the weighty responsibility that I already feel for the people I wholeheartedly believe I am destined to help. Grad school is expensive, money-wise but even more so for time and energy. I give up a lot on a regular basis to walk this path. And at this point in my life, I could not be happier.
I don't have everything that I want. I don't have a body that works properly all the time or does what I want it to do. But you know what? In the most vital ways, my body no longer sabotages me. My subconscious still does sometimes, & that can make sleep a miserable venture. But the things that matter most? They're in line. There's a lot that I don't know about what the next thirty years of my life will be. Honestly, I don't know if any time during the next thirty years will find me kneeling across the altar from my eternal companion, crying in a delivery room, or anxiously signing adoption papers. My ideal future would include all three of those moments, preferable at least a few of the last two. I hope & pray for all of those experiences, sometimes a few times an hour.
There are a few things about my future that I do know: the next thirty years will find me still a covenant-keeping woman, a faithful daughter of God. I won't be perfect. I won't even come close. But I will never again turn my back on who I am meant to become, or on the sacred covenants I have made. Today in sacrament meeting I felt incredibly anxious, as I have a few times in the past, to do something very specific to further sever ties with who I used to be. I have a general idea of how to do this, but the logistics have been tricky enough to figure out that I've avoided it.
Thinking that this insight needed to be written down, I pulled out my journal. For some reason rather than writing, I opened it to the day I received my endowments & began to read. I have done my best to make it to the temple every week since then. I haven't always succeeded, but my average is still ahead & I figure that counts as much as it should. I have now been able to perform or witness sacred saving ordinances in three temples in two states, with people I love beyond measure. There is so much that I don't know, about myself, about my future, about so many things. But the things that I know are so incomparable to any alternative I could ever choose. For me, there is no choice.
One of the entries I read was written after my brother, his wife, & their little boys became a forever family. I was so emotionally overwhelmed that day. I knew their future children were there in that sealing room. I don't know if anyone else felt that way, but it was completely overwhelming for me & at least in my mind that impression has been adamantly affirmed. I can't explain that sense. It is the same feeling I get when I remember the promises I have made, a sense that my future husband, my future children are tied to the choices which I make. They need me to be happy now, to make the most of this life I am living now. Were I to sit around bemoaning my spinster status, I may never have them. The only choice I have to make now is to be better, every single day, so that one day I am the best possible wife & mother I could be for them. Cross your fingers it happens before another year rolls around! If it doesn't? I'll still be so grateful & even joyful for the indescribable blessing of this tremendous life. So bring on the next decade!
Sunday, April 19, 2015
Thirty, Way Less Flirty, & Finally Thriving
Posted by MJ Payne at 5:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment