With my younger sister's wedding this past month and my baby sister gone off to college, I've been pondering a lot of things. Ten years ago this week that was me, struggling to be certain I'd made the right decision to leave my family & my home when I really had no idea why. I only knew that the child I'd lost inside myself had always dreamed of going to Brigham Young University like my mommy & daddy. Events unfolded ten years ago that would...knock me off my path more than a bit, & from there it became more challenging than ever. But the things that happened that year & before that set my life on this path are not all mine to share, & certainly not in a forum so public as this. Suffice it to say my family & I were tested before, during, & since my time at BYU in ways that I can guarantee you none of us ever imagined. That being said, my pondering has not centered around all the challenges we endured. It has been focused upon marveling upon all the blessings our family has gained, blessings equally as unexpected as the trials which have prepared us to receive them.
Four years ago my younger brother married the woman he intended to be his companion for eternity, & I feel confident in saying few things have been more painful & challenging for my family than everything involved in that situation. I can't pretend that my poor little mortal brain will fathom the ways the Lord guided my brother through all of that any time in this life, but I'm grateful to know that He has & continues to do so. Again in ways we will never understand, as my brother was tested in a difficult marriage & divorce, the love of his life was also prepared for him. I have never seen him happier or more secure in his place in this world than since he became a husband to Tricia, & a father to Lincoln. Again, a scenario we never imagined that has brought unimaginable joy to our lives. I love my silly, sweet, loving little nephew, & my wacky, dramatic sister who shares my ridiculous neuroses, who worries and prays for me constantly, & loves me & my family always.
Three years ago our family was preparing for the wedding of my baby brother, as he got a crash course in how to be a daddy. His wonderful wife went through hell & back for them & their three beautiful daughters to become a forever family. He too has never been more at home (even than on the football field!) than when he is snuggling his wife & playing with his little girls' ears. He loves being a daddy, & I know not one of us would change anything about the circumstances that brought these amazing spirits into our family.









4 comments:
This is awesome, Mary. I hope everyone reads it.
Wonderful!!!!! I love you Mary Jessica!!! Mom
P.S. Dad and I got to read this together, and we both thought it was absolutely amazing. You are very talented writer.thank you for the joyful emotions your words brought to us! (Oh, I'm sorry I had to sign as anonymous. I couldn't get it to let me sign any other way.)
Absolutely beautiful Mary:)
Post a Comment