I had a rather momentous event today. I finished a journal which I've kept since I became an adult, as well as the eight days preceding my eighteenth birthday. It's often been neglected, though some time periods I simply wasn't doing much physical writing but did keep digital records. The thing is, I have to write about a miracle I received tonight or I will consider myself horribly ungrateful. One of the things I wrote in the last few pages this afternoon was how I hope that some time in the next twelve years, I will realize the enormity of what I have done in the last couple of years. I know that seems silly, but most of the time I feel unchanged. My life seems much the same as it always did. Friends point out I'm grumpy, ask me why, & I have no reason. Ohhhhhh, how it feels the same.
The thing is, I remember that lost little girl. I can tangibly recall certain moments of those first couple weeks when I began keeping this journal. I remember who I loved. I remember how and why I loved him, and why that was such a horribly tragic thing. I remember believing "it can't get any better than this". Not because it was so good, oh no, but because I could not fathom a life free from addiction. I remember choosing to go to BYU because really, what else was I going to do? I felt nothing but fear and inadequacy, wanting nothing more than a few years all by myself to get my head on straight. Sadly that's not what I was supposed to do & if I'm honest, it wouldn't have mattered then anyway. I was nowhere near ready.
I remember so many things in the years since then. I remember the people I have loved, the people I have lost, and especially those who fell into both groups. I remember the people I begged to love me, and those I had to leave behind to get to this point. I remember countless nights of believing that this would always and forever be my life. It's a bit of a curse you know, having such a strong testimony of the eternal nature of mankind while believing yourself doomed to an eternity of hell. I remember so much agony and despair as I tumbled further and further than even I believed possible. While all of this sounds horrible (because it was!), it's not intended to depress. It's meant only to give perspective to what I am about to share.
I've felt really off lately. Not something entirely quantifiable, but the best description I can find is disconnected. I am so burnt out, mentally, emotionally, physically, ugh I'm just sucked dry. I don't regret how hard I've pushed in school for one second. I don't regret trying harder in the ward, taking care of my girls as best I can. I do regret the decision to go back to work, primarily based in my pride and fear. I'm not sure it was the wrong decision, but it's definitely contributed to this in a huge way. I was told that I needed to focus on school & let others help me. That direction probably wasn't meant to be limited to the two months following that blessing. But I can only move forward now.
Tonight I chose to listen to this song which I have always loved but again, it felt torturous when I couldn't see a way out.
I've always loved it, & it's beginning to become more of a promise to myself than a condemnation. The thing is, one of my greatest strengths is focusing on the future. One of my greatest weaknesses (as is true for most addicts I believe) is remaining present in my life & finding joy in where I am right now. There is a line in that song that has never hit me harder before in my life, & I've known it so long I can remember singing it as a youth leader at Girls' Camp in high school.
That girl could barely find the motivation to pack for college, literally packed the same day I left. This woman has a bachelor's degree and 24/60 credits towards a master's degree. That girl never ever imagined anything beyond a bachelor's & often doubted even that. That girl felt like a disgusting hypocrite and a liar every single Sunday. This woman is far from perfect & often feels that way, but knows those feelings are lies. This woman attends the House of God with greater frequency than anyone I know who doesn't serve as a temple worker.
There are many things about my life now that I want to change. There are many things in my life now that I am struggling ever onward to change, improve, eradicate. But here's the miracle:
I have strength I never imagined I could possess. I feel a joy in serving in the temple of the Lord that I never fathomed possible. I have an understanding of the love my Savior & Heavenly Father have for me which is so far from perfect but so much closer than it was twelve years ago. I don't have everything, & my heart aches more than I'd care to admit for the blessings which have taken much longer to come to fruition than even I had anticipated. But you know what? As I heard my fellow Unison choir members sing over & over again so many years ago, "you shall have your desire, sometime, somewhere". Until then, I'm grateful for this unexpected answer today to such a fervent prayer. All is not yet said & done, & "God will finish what he has begun", including shaping me into who I am meant to be.
1 comments:
Thank you for sharing this, another in a wonderful line of eloquent, touching posts. I love you and am so very proud of you!!!!! I'll love you forever! Mom
Post a Comment